Tuesday, October 7, 2014


wisdom will come into your heart,

and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul;

Proverbs 2:10, 16

 

I have heard Folly’s call to steal my sense of innocence by condemning others. It can feel so virtuous to complain about the actions or beliefs of others. It is easier than taking an honest look at myself. Folly tells me that my problems are caused by other people and that the solution is to do what I can to change them or to gain sympathy for my plight. Folly is not interested in my soul; she does not ponder the way of life.

 

Wisdom, on the other hand, wants to save my life. When I listen to her, her words are pleasant to my soul. I do not have to condemn others to cover my own sense of fear and shame. The parts of myself that I condemn – the shameful parts – these are the very parts of me that Wisdom invites to her banquet. Wisdom only calls to fools. But wisdom never shames a fool. Wisdom gives, because she sees us in our misery and wants to restore us to the dignity we once had as God’s beloved image bearers.

 

Keep your way far from her…

Lest you give your honor to others

And your years to the merciless

Lest strangers take their fill of your strength

 

Blessed is the one who finds wisdom…

Her ways are ways of pleasantness,

And all her paths are peace.

She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment